Costa Rica is a Central American country with over 800 miles of black & white sanded beaches, 100 volcanoes and a crazy amount of wildlife waiting for you! It is also one of the most kid friendly countries of the area, a perfect destination for adventure lovers and the most romantic place for a tropical getaway.
Some other Facts About Costa Rica
- One of the most noticeable things about Costa Rica is that it was the first country to abolish its army in 1948.
- Because of all of the programs & efforts it managed to be a country with 25% of its territory protected.
- It pioneered the eco-tourism trend.
- It is home to 4% of the word’s total fauna.
- They have a 96% literacy rate and high schools in almost every community.
- A common motto in Costa Rica is “Pura Vida!” which translates “This is living!” or “Pure Life”.
- Costa Rica is the most popular tourist destination in Central America with over 1.9 million visitors in 2007.
This country is considered by many as paradise. That is because the good weather lasts all year. You might hear some times that Costa Rica has two seasons: The wet season (June – November) and the not so wet season (December – May) but the truth is that it has a beautiful tropical weather all year long. It does rain sometimes but it is necessary to keep the forests green and lush. So, when it comes to Costa Rica, there is no off season to travel!
Here are some tips on how to find the best experience according to the season:
- Best time to travel to Costa Rica is between December and May, because it is the sunniest time however this is also the busiest season so you will find crowds and will need reservations.
- Best time to travel with the best deals is the wet season, between June and November. During this time you will get the best hotel rates.
- From December to February Costa Rica is affected by trade winds. The whole country gets a bit cooler than it normally is but there is nothing to worry about, it’s still warm enough.
- However if you’re traveling in the mountains, bring a sweater and a jacket.
Highlights of Costa Rica
As we mentioned before, the Costa Rican landscape is varied, there are beaches, volcanoes, mangrove swamps, tropical forests, cloud forests, lakes and rivers. But it is really hard to see it all in one visit. That is why we have made a list of the places you can visit to experience as many sceneries as possible.
- Manuel Antonio – This is a place where you will be able to enjoy a beautiful beach that melts with the rain forest. In the area there are luxury hotels and spas, and great restaurants. This is also a well known area among sport fishers.
- Arenal – In here you will find one of the top ten most active volcanoes in the world, naturally heated hot springs at the base of volcano and many great hotels from where you can enjoy a lava show – when not cloudy.
- Monteverde – This area is commonly called an alive natural history museum where you will find a wide diversity of wildlife and flora. It is also where the firs canopy zip lines were built. It offers adventure, relaxation, beautiful green scenes, cheap hotels and a unique nature experience.
- Central valley – This is where you will find the popular Poas and Irazu Volcanoes, day tours to coffee plantations, canopy tours, whitewater rafting adventures, churches, historical museums and national monuments.
- Tortuguero – Its name can be translated as Land of Turtles. In here you will find the largest mangrove swamps of the country and is a great place to see Sea turtles lay their eggs. The village can be reached only by boat or airplane, is sustained in large part by eco-tourism.
- Corcovado National Park, Osa Peninsula – This park is known as the most biologically intense place on earth because of the incredible amount of animals that live in it. Wildlife lovers, this is where you want to go!
In all those places you will be able to find tons of activities for everyone. Are you an adventure traveler, sun worshiper, explorer, or an all-in-one? Well, no matter your tastes and interests, Costa Rica’s got you covered!
Here are just some of the tours that are offered all over the country:
• ATV Tours
• Bird and Wildlife Watching
• Canoeing and Kayaking
• Canopy Tours
• Canyoning or Waterfall Rappelling
• Chocolate Tours
• Coffee Tours
• Day Spas
• Diving & Snorkeling
• Dolphin & Whale Watching
• Horseback Riding
• Hot Air Ballooning
• Jet Skis
• Rafting & Tubing
• Safari Boat Ride
• Sailing and Catamaran tours
• Sport Fishing
• Surfs Up!
• Turtle Tours